Monday, June 27, 2011

WE MADE IT HERE

The last few days have been very emotional for me. In Cape May, I was thrilled to meet with friends from long ago, eat at the Lobster House again and tour the lovely victorian city again. The following day we were able to attend a wonderful graduation party with family that I haven't seen in over 20 years--what fun! On Sunday we cruised up the Atlantic Ocean, passing all the old familiar Jersey Shore cities.




We spent the night at Manasquan, New Jersey, arriving there on Sunday afternoon just as all the fishing tournament participants and week-end vacationers were coming back to their various docks. Ya know, we should have guessed what a major inlet on the Jersey shore on a beautiful Sunday late afternoon in June would be like!!! We made it into our slip in spite of rocking and rolling and without getting stuck on the rocks , as some poor fool did. Things did calm down though and we were able to get a good nights rest. I spent some time getting myself prepped for another emotional day, as Monday we will enter New York Harbor and cruise under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. Going under that bridge (in my own personal boat) was one of my imagined high points of our Great Circle Trip. Over 40 years ago, I used to drive over that bridge often. By the way, I also walked across the Brooklyn Bridge --9 months pregnant! Did anyone except Tansy remember that I lived in Brooklyn!



I MADE IT UNDER THAT BRIDGE. As the song goes "if you can make it here, you'll make it anywhere" sure hope that applies to boating as well 'cause we made it here! Does that mean the rest of the trip will be as smooth and fun?




As we passed by the Statue of Liberty in our small cruiser, John and I contemplated what it must have been like for our own German ancestors passing her generations ago. They were apart of those poor, huddled masses. We continued up the Hudson and docked at Half Moon Bay Marina which is as calm and pretty as the name implies. Tomorrow we will continue up the Hudson. It really is as wonderful as the painter's painted it.







Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment